What does your portfolio website look like? First, please tell me you have a website. If you don’t, please go sign up for Squarespace right now and then get back to this article! Good? Good. Don’t forget to add a signup for your newsletter!
Now let’s say you already have a website. What does your portfolio page look like?
Is it full of every photo you have on your computer, just to show you have experience?
Is it a small slideshow?
I do not recommend those ideas, so keep reading! The way you represent your work online is going to determine your pricing, your brand, your clients, it’s everything!
No matter what your niche, the word to keep in mind here is “editorial.”
Think of displaying your work in an editorial style when designing your website, business card, brochures, and even your Instagram. Here are some ways you can make your portfolio page look more editorial:
- Vary the sizes of your photos. Don’t use the slideshow tool, go for the mosaic option when creating your page.
- Be sure to export them to the correct size so they are their best quality.
- Choose a style and showcase that. You can have black and white photos mixed with color photos, but you can’t have a lot of light and airy photos with muddy photos that look like they are from another photographer.
There has to be some element of cohesion.
Go for what you love, not what you see everyone else is doing.
Remember that the work you show will attract the type of work you sell.
- Balance the amount that you show. Don’t overwhelm your clients with too many photos. Put photos into categories and include about 25 photos for each one.
- Vary composition, angles and close up details vs pulled back photos.
Try these tips and let me know what a difference you see! These little additions to your website can make a huge difference.
When your website looks amazing, you’ll feel much more confident about your business and your clients will feel more confident about you.